[Electronics-talk] talking clock radio

Grover Zinn grover.zinn at oberlin.edu
Sat Jul 25 04:56:30 UTC 2009

My wife, who is blind, uses the Reizen talking atomic alarm clock, and
I'd say it works well.  (I'm sighted).  It has tactile buttons and a
sliding switch to use.  Can be set for time zone (uses atomic clock
service to set time).  Setting alarm is by button and voice
announcement.

There is a new voice activated alarm clock by Moshi.  I've seen it
described as a breakthrough, but have no idea how well it works.  I
find most "voice-activated" devices something like 4 od 5 on a scale
of 10 (except for the Verizon LG 8350 phone which is about a 9 and
improves to 10 with use and practice---this is for dialing by asking
for a name in your phonebook).  On a scale of 10, I'd give the Reizen
at least 9, and probably 10 (no voice recognition; just talks time
when bar pressed; has alarm; voice for alarm set, etc etc)  Maxiaids
has both clocks.

best

Grover Zinn

Grover Zinn
William H. Danforth Professor of Religion, emeritus
former Associate Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
Oberlin College
Oberlin, OH 44074
grover.zinn at oberlin.edu