[Electronics-talk] Accessible Android E-Mail and Barcode Reader Available

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 22:54:33 UTC 2010

I just want to echo what Jim said. I've been involved with some open
source projects where nothing gets done because the community tries to
drive to a consensus. this is a lofty idea, but when you get into thorny
issues, members of the community will use this to keep resolutions they
don't agree with from ever being adopted. I've been on other open source
projects that were very successful, but these usually had a pretty clear
meritocracy in place, so that once a few key leaders said this is the
way it's going to be then that was adopted and the community moved on.
Like I said, open source can be wildly successful, but it can also be a
total bust. Personally, when I hear something is open source, I take a
wait and see attitude, unless of course I think I have the time and
skills to contribute.

Oh, there's another issue that can crop up on open source projects, and
again this depends a lot on the make up of the community. An open source
project can become very closed to suggestions and requests for features.
I've been involved in several open source projects where mistakes in the
documentation would be pointed out by an end user and the response
they'd get is something like "It's a wiki, update it yourself." In other
cases, suggestions would be made or features requested by customers just
to be told "If you want it so bad, join the community and work on it
yourself." Granted, some customers can be pretty bossy and pushy,
especially if they don't realize it's an open source project made up of
people who are volunteering their time, but I've also just seen some
pretty closed minded open source projects. Again, I'd just say it's a
mixed bag

--

Christopher
chaltain at gmail.com