[Electronics-talk] Windows versus Mac [was "RE: Question about Talking Scale"]

Ray Foret Jr rforetjr at comcast.net
Wed Sep 8 08:09:13 UTC 2010

Jud,

That is an excellent way to point out one of the things I just love about the Mac;  the fact that one can, if necessary, do a completely hard formatting of the primary drive, and then, do a fresh OS install.  All of it, accessibly.  Another thing.  Time machine beats all hell out of Windows system restore for both its accessibility and completeness of system restoration!!!

Sincerely,
The Constantly Barefooted Ray!!!

A Very Proud and Happy Mac User!!!

E-Mail:
rforetjr at comcast dot net
Skype Name:
barefootedray

I suppose one could write up a braille list of keystrokes for any version of windows as it applies to their specific equipment set up and base the timing of each response on when the cd or dvd drive stops spinning in order to do a fresh reinstall of windows after accessibility has gone away but this is extremely painful as compared to the Macintosh installation process.  Screen narrator won't work to help installation along since windows has to already be installed to load sound card drivers from any source and screen narrator won't work until after that driver has been installed and the sound card is working.  I'll correct that last statement, screen narrator will work but won't provide any accessibility benefit when it does.  Microsoft accessibility division could have chosen to first have people at home get dos talking and then had them use a dos version of msbatch to start creating an msbatch.inf file.  Once that had started windows setup could have been called by the dos version of msbatch in a shell context and collected unanswered questions from windows setup and presented them to the accessibility installer and collected answers. Those answers if found to be in correct format and range could have appended onto msbatch.inf file and then windows setup could again have been run with the ammended msbatch.inf file to collect more questions and repeat the cycle until windows had enough answers to actually install. When that happened, if the accessibility installer was ready windows setup could have been run with the final version of msbatch.inf to do the install.  Of course, this would have required a --dry-run or --simulate switch for windows setup to accommodate such accessibility but since Microsoft's accessibility division cannot go around Microsoft and tell other divisions how to do their programming none of this could ever have happened and has no possibility to happen in the future.  So a first test I use for operating systems is "if I have to reinstall it with no vision or memory of vision by myself can I do it with provided accessibility tools?".  The answer for windows 98se was yes for the time the braille paper with the response list hadn't got damaged but for XP, the answer for that question is no.  That's why dos; Linux, and Snow Leopard are on most of the machines I use.  The work machine has xp on it but xp and other versions of windows simply aren't nice enough to take home to meet the family in my case.On Tue, 7 Sep 2010, cheez wrote: