[Electronics-talk] descriptive workout material

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 19 11:52:11 UTC 2011

A while back, there was a line of exercise equipment called iFit.  These
machines could be connected to an iPod/MP3 player, VCR or computer.  You
would play specially designed videos or MP3 which would control the settings
on the machine.  Last time I looked into it, there was a way to access
workouts for the machines through your computer.  Your computer controlled
the machine while collecting  your working out data.  There was a fee for
the fully functioning web access, and there was a free set up with
limitations.  At that time there were compatibility problems between JAWS
and their site.  I did purchase 1 MP3 file and used it with my iFit
elliptical machine.  The reality for me was that it was easier to just use
the overlay I made for the machine.

I use an overhead projector sheet to make an overlay to Velcro to the
control of the machine.  I then have someone help me locate the buttons that
I need to use and place tactile marks and/or braille labels on the overhead
sheet.  The overlay can be removed so that sighted people can use the
machine and not mess with the marks and braille.  This is especially good
now that I am using the fitness center at work 5 days a week.  My overlays
for the treadmill and elliptical have lasted almost 4 years.  When I first
started using overlays on the machines at the gym near my house, the first
set did not even last a month.  Paper does not hold up well at all, and a
file folder was too thick.  The other issues with the paper and file folder
is that it made it difficult for the sighted person to locate the areas
where to place the marks and bumps.

HTH
Annette