[Electronics-talk] Braille overlays

Tom Lange lange85 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 01:22:54 UTC 2011

Hi,
I got a GE microwave back in 2008.  I had heard that they provide Braille
overlays, so I called up their customer service and was told that no
overlays were available.  However, they did have sheets containing every
possible label that could be applied to any of their microwave ovens.  The
customer rep was very friendly and helpful, and she saw to it that I
received the label sheet promptly.

I needed a sighted person to separate and apply the labels, which wasn't
terribly difficult to do.  After three years of regular use and cleaning,
some of the labels have fallen off, but I suppose that's to be expected, so
one of these days I'll call up and request another set of labels.  In the
interim, I've memorized what controls are in the blank spots and,
fortunately, I don't use them regularly so it's not a huge deal.  Even so, I
think an overlay for the specific model would have been preferable.

I've heard some say that the GE microwaves aren't as good as they used to be
way back when, but mine works like a champ, and it's very powerful.

Tom