[Electronics-talk] Accessible Stove/oven

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Thu Dec 13 22:17:22 UTC 2012

I don't think you get it.  There is no starter that automatically ignites
the pilot  on my all-gas oven.  That's how gas ovens were made 60 years ago.
When you turn off the oven by rotating the temperature knob all the way to
the left, the pilot is extinguished.  If you want to use the oven again, you
must manually relight the pilot.  A spark or flame of some kind is required
to accomplish this.  In gas ovens with automatic starters, this is
accomplished by a built-in electric igniter.  But to power the electric
igniter, the oven must be plugged into a nearby AC outlet.  Here in
Manhattan,most unrenovated prewar apartment buildings have no outlets near
the oven, and so must use manually-ignited all-gas ovens.  Contrary to
popular belief, there are manufacturers that still make such ovens.

Gerald