[Electronics-talk] OCR Scanners

Philip Blackmer pblackmer27 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 07:15:31 UTC 2012

What about Abby Fine Reader?

-----Original Message-----
From: electronics-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org
[mailto:electronics-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of JULIE PHILLIPSON
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2012 5:34 PM
To: Discussion of accessible electronics and appliances
Subject: Re: [Electronics-talk] OCR Scanners

Linda for what its worth I have had four or five scanners over the years and

I think any flat bed scanner will do what you want.  It is the software that

is the key I once had an HP deskjet all in one that worked fine right out of

the box.  It even had its own OCR software and I just had to configure it to

automatically do that.  The printing function wasn't that great though and
used a lot of ink.  I have an Epson now and its software is not very
accessible I can't install it myself at all but once it is ready I can use
it better but I can only get it to do PDF format and it is not accessible
PDF so then it has to be run through the other program to make it usable.
scans great but I have to use it with OCR  software such as openbook or
K1000 the scanner is the cheep part of the deal.  I don't know if HP
software is the same as it was but I've heard it is not but not sure.  Mind
you it doesn't quite do all the things that openbook or K1000 does but it
reads it just fine.
Julie Phillipson