[Electronics-talk] Mobile Speak VS Talks

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Wed May 30 17:24:12 UTC 2012

I used Talks for 10 years. I went with Talks over Mobile Speak because
at the time, Talks was the only option. I was a happy Talks customer,
but I never really tried Mobile Speak. Talks does come with Eloquence,
and I know some people prefer that synthesizer over the alternatives.

I recently switched to the iPhone myself. I needed to and wanted to
start using apps for work and play that just weren't available on the
Symbian platform. You'll get a lot of opinions one way or the other, but
I'd suggest going with a phone that meets your own needs.

You also have free screen readers available on Android, such as Talk
Back (which is also already included with Android 4.0) and Spiel.

My interpretation of the purpose of this list is for consumer
electronics which are accessible right off the shelf, so Talks and
Mobile Speak would not be on topic for this list. I'm not the moderator
though, but either way, you might bet more responses on another list.
I'd suggest starting with the accessible phones list. You can subscribe
to this list by sending a blank message to:
blindphones-subscribe at mosenexplosion.com

On 30/05/12 11:57, Baracco, Andrew W wrote:
> If you are going to use them, you are pretty much confined to getting a
> nokia phone, because neither will work on the current version of the
> Windows Phone platform.  These days, if you want a smart phone, I would
> recommend either an Android based phone, or an iPhone.  The makers of
> Mobile Speak offer a product called Mobile Accessibility that works on
> Android based phones. The iPhone has a built in screen reader called
> Voiceover.
>
> ?Andy

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail