[Electronics-talk] Microwave

Frida Aizenman aizenman at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 24 16:23:37 UTC 2012

Hello List,
A few months ago, there were discussions on this list about what happens when your microwave breaks down.
Well, I own a Hamilton Beach talking microwave.
A week ago Saturday, the microwave started to make a grinding sound. Mind you, I bought the microwave eight years ago through the advise of this wonderful list.
I had already resigned myself to the fact that my cousin was going to bring me a microwave from Costco and I was going to put Braille labels on it as I did in the nineties. I wasn't willing to pay $350, when eight years ago I paid $118 through Independent Living Aids.
In any event, I know a sighted lady who told me that her husband had fixed her microwave. She really wanted to help me and she knew that the microwave talked. I had not complained to her, but she herself saw what was happening and wanted to help.
She and her husband came on Tuesday, he picked up the microwave as if it was a feather and took it home to fix.
On Wednesday they brought it back. It has been working fine ever since. The problem was that, there was an area which was burned, the burned area was cleaned up and he put back the protective cardboard. The cardboard is a bit bent, but it is well placed, and it doesn't bother anything.
I asked how much he was going to charge. He said he didn't know how much to charge. Many years ago I learned that as a rule, when a product breaks down, to fix it you should pay at least one third of the original cost.
I paid him $40. His wife said she just wanted me to be happy, and I said to her that I wanted them to be happy with the payment.
A few weeks ago, Mrs. Garcia said that she loves Mr. Garcia as much as she did when they met. At the time I thought she was just bragging, but after seeing them both together, and hearing the respectful tone of voice in which they address each other, I began to believe what she said.
This whole episode with Mr. and Mrs. Garcia was very moving to me.
You know how we women are.
LOL.
Cordially,
Frida