[Electronics-talk] Accessible stereo systems?

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Sat Oct 20 10:36:06 UTC 2012

First, forget about a cassette deck, because they have apparently gone the
way of the dinosaurs.  Your best bet would be separate components, rather
than an all-in-one system.  This way, you can more closely custom the system
to meet your needs.  I would recommend a basic, two-channel stereo receiver
for the heart of your system.  Although multichannel home theater receivers
are all the rage these days, it is still possible to find two channel stereo
receivers like the Sherwood RX-4109 which sells for about $130 on Amazon.com
and elsewhere.  Look for receivers at the entry level, as these are more
likely to have discrete buttons and knobs for controlling various features
rather than inaccessible on-screen menus.  Most stereo receivers have 20 or
30 presets for storing your favorite AM and FM stations, which should be
more than sufficient.  Add a pair of modest bookshelf loudspeakers from a
company like Polk Audio, Klipsch, or JBL.  Two-way speakers with 6.5 or 8
inch woofers and 1 inch tweeters should provide excellent sound in an
average size room.  For about $20, you can add a basic DVD player and use it
to play your CD's. Remember, when it comes to audio components, simpler and
cheaper tends to be more accessible.

Gerald