[Electronics-talk] GPS in the Big City

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Thu Apr 11 14:38:59 UTC 2013

Some GPS apps keep a local copy of your map data on your phone, but
most do not.

So, often you are using data when you are using the GPS.  Worse, you
are downloading map tiles, which you don't need but can't easily turn
off.  Map tiles are pictures or a map and so use up more data.

I'd say you probably use less data on a route than you'd use to watch
a 10 minute video, but this is totally off the top of my head.

When these "how much data does this use" questions come up, I generally
encourage people to learn how to track their data so they can find out
for themselves.

This is carrier specific.  For AT&T you can dial star d a t a pound
(or star 3272 pound) and then double tap the call button.  You'll get
a text with your current month's data usage.  You can do this before
and after using your GPS to get an idea how much data it's using.
Remember that not all of that data will be GPS related.  Your phone is
still checking for me and doing other low bandwidth consuming
activities.

Jim