[Electronics-talk] GPS in the Big City

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Thu Apr 11 14:58:45 UTC 2013

You'll likely want to do your own evaluations. Here are a few apps I
use a lot.

Below, I talk about the getting warming tracking method. Basically,
the app will give you some form of direction and distance to your
destination.  For example, 700 feet northeast, or 800 yards ahead and
to your right.

First, for all the bad press, the built-in apple maps are pretty good.
The major problem that everyone talks about comes down to POIs
sometimes being in the wrong place.  So, rather than searching for a
POI, it can be helpful to search for its address instead.  The other
downside to this app is it doesn't have pedestrian routes, which means
routes will take into account one way streets, busy highways, etc.

Next, there's the Google Maps app.  This app has more reliable POI
data, and a pedestrian route option, but takes more time to learn to
use.  The app is accessible, but lacks some polish for voiceover
users.

Blind square - This is an app that will tell you what's nearby,
including intersections, businesses, restaurants, etc.  If you start
the app and then start walking around, blind square will announce as
you get close to things.  You can also search for POIs further away.
It uses the very large, user generate, foursquare database of checkins
to provide a very complete list of POIs.  It will also use the
getting warmer tracking technique to help you find the destination.
No actual turn by turn though.

"where to?" allows you to find businesses and then use the getting
warm tracking technique to find them

The "my way lite" app uses the getting warmer method to guide you to
addresses in your contacts list.

"Ariadne" GPS is a blindness focused GPS app that will give you a lot
of good information about where you are and what streets, addresses,
etc. are around you.

Finally, the Sendero folks are working on a full GPS app. Not sure
when it will be out, but it'll be worth looking at especially if
you're already familiar with their other GPS solutions.

Hope this helps,

Jim