[Electronics-talk] Identifying Groceries

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 5 03:05:48 UTC 2013

Hi Sarah,
I think your best barcode option is the Id mate. I've heard it has the more
extensive database.
Maybe your friend can get one at a resell price. Also, some vendors have
payment plans.
It sounds like the friend really wants to use barcodes for independent use.
Other electronic options may be efficient too, but require more work at the
beginning. If he or she has access to sighted assistance, you can audio
label items which is probably just as fast as scanning an item. Also, I
suggest being organized. For instance group all baking items together,
condiments together, put canned vegetables on one side of a pantry and
canned fruit on another.
I say this because you do not want to scan like 20 items simply to find
them. Organization eliminates some
of this hastle.
With audio labeling, you have to record your own label on it, so you'll
need some initial assistance. But I think such options are less expensive.

Audio labeling systems include:
1. the Pen friend
2. Sherlock talking label identifier
3. Touch Memo
4. Reizen talking label identifier

There are aps but IMO it takes more learning then and I don't know how tech
savvy or patient this friend is.
The aps require you to take a picture of the product usually. I wouldn't
want to send out my pictures to be identified; I don't like people knowing
what I have. It strikes me as a privacy thing.
A camera on those smart phones takes some adjustment to use such as holding
the product a certain distance away from it.
Stand alone products detect the barcode better from different angles.
Also with aps, you have to get the barcode scanned and there's no standard
place for the barcode. More often, its at a bottom of a can or box.
I think stand alone products are the best option. Seems more flexible to me.

There is a windows based program called Scan and Say talking barcode system.
You scan a product with the scanner it comes with and a voice reads you the
labels and you can custom label items as well.

One more thing. The pac mate has an accessory for bar codes that you can buy
to work with the pacmate. Other notetakers may offer an option like this,
and I wish the braille note had this option.

The pac mate accessory is called Scan talker.

Hope these ideas help. There are not many bar code readers out there that
don't require another device such as  a pc or notetaker.

Ashley