[Electronics-talk] Identifying Groceries

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 5 18:02:22 UTC 2013

Lori,
So to clarify, you're saying TapTapSee works when you get a good picture of
the product.
Digit eyes on the other hand is a bar code scanner. So this means, if I
understand this, the difference is one requires you to take a picture
whereas the other requires you to scan the barcode.

You get what you pay for. The first ap is free and does not sound as
reliable.
>From your description, if I used I device aps, I'd pick digit eyes.
However, as I've said before, I don't have a need or the patience to use the
iphones. I wish I had a phone though that can read text messages! I have
verizon and few of their regular phones have talking abilities; mine simply
reads the incoming call.
I've considered getting an itouch or ipad someday though when I can afford
it.

If you scan the barcode with digit eyes, you say it gives you ingredient
info and cooking instructions if its on the package.
Have you found that digit eyes has the majority of products in the database?
Will it identify bathroom accessories too such as a bottle of shampoo from
lotion or conditioner?
Those have similar feeling bottles in my experience.
How specific is this information about the product? For instance will it say
"vegetable soup" or say the brand you have too.
Is this a quick recognition thing? Do you use voice over to listen to the
information or what speech?

Barcodes are often found at the bottom of a can or package, and someone told
me on cans its by the paper crease. I have not looked to varify that though,
I can see a little straight ahead.
I'd imagine with practice you'd remember where barcodes are on certain
products.
I did see a barcode ap demonstrated at the rehab center. It  was neat. It
was a fast scan and fairly clear voice announcing the product.
I wonder if this was digit eyes.

Some of us mentioned computer databases to use with the barcode scanners.
However, this person asked about the technique to  identify  groceries. I
don't know about you all, but I've never met a person who broght the
computer to the kitchen!
I would certainly not like that idea. There is water, liquids and other
stuff I would not want to risk touching the laptop with.
Unless you had the computer far from the counters, I do not recommend
bringing  pcs or any delicate electronics in the kitchen.
You could scan the groceries with a iphone barcode ap, I suppose, as long as
it’s a dry item. An iphone is much easier to carry safely in a kitchen
because its small and you can store it in a pocket when you're finished.

I think this person't best option is:
1. use an ap
2. use a audio labeler that I suggested
3. use a stand alone device like the ID mate.

Interesting discussion. I think with all this good news about having
ingredient info accessible and more, I just might buy  a barcode ap when I
buy a  I device.
Ashley