[Electronics-talk] ACCESSIBLE TABLETS/NETBOOKS

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat Mar 23 02:33:32 UTC 2013

Proprietary book readers outside of Apple (hardware versions) from what
I've read remain inaccessible.  Use of kindle and nook software on an
accessible device is likely as close to accessible as you'll get with
them.  Windows tablets don't have narrator installed on them and since
most run a cut down version of windows ce on them they can't run
narrator in any event.  Accessible android tablets can be had only if
you have the operating system version taken up to at least Jellybean 4.1
at the place where you buy them and have the installer draw a square on
the screen with their finger before you buy the tablet.  That drawing
and operating system upgrade turns on all the accessibility features
including talkback which  you will need.  I almost bought an android
tablet this past Christmas Holiday but it had Gingerbread on it and the
person that was selling didn't know if the tablet could be upgraded to
jellybean at the time so I ended up with an IPhone 4s.