[Electronics-talk] New Victor Stream and Newsline

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Sep 12 12:21:03 UTC 2013

Humanware recently put out an upgrade to the new Victor Stream so that it
can connect to Newsline and Bookshare.  I connected mine to Newsline
yesterday, and thought people might be interested to hear about it.
I read the relevant section of the manual twice, and the FAQ, but I still
had to call the charmers at Humanware tech support to get it working.  It
didn't take them long to straighten me out, though.
The Stream stays connected until I turn off "airplane mode", so I can just
hit the online button to switch between the SD bookshelf and the online
bookshelf.  I put a couple newspapers and a couple magazines in my "Newsline
in your pocket", and there they all are, sitting on my online bookshelf.  I
can open whichever I want and skip around the headers, just as I would with
any other publication I had downloaded.  I can copy the "book" to my SD
card, so I will still have it when I go offline.  It only took 1 or 2
seconds to copy the latest Braille Monitor, for instance.
I really like it.  Yesterday, I sat around at lunchtime, reading the paper.
Today, I'm going to copy it to the SD, so I can read it while I'm waiting at
an appointment.  Next week, my husband and I are taking a short vacation.
I'm going to try logging into the hotel's wifi and getting the paper, so I
can lounge around drinking coffee and reading the newspaper, as so many
other people do, but I've never done. And, if the papers are ready early
enough, I can snag it before I go out to catch my bus to work, and read the
paper on the bus, as other commuters do.  It's great!
Tracy