[Electronics-talk] Internet and the Phillapeans

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat Sep 28 01:51:46 UTC 2013

A signal booster almost certainly will not help.  The reasons are
geography in an under-developed country.  Mountains without repeaters on
their summits can be very difficult to get signals through but with
repeaters going over is easier.  That being said, I had heard about the
use of an empty pringles can wrapped with coiled wire and attached to a
laptop being used to extract wifi signals from inside of buildings.  The
pringles can in this case almost certainly would be way too small in any
event.  The general idea though of loading something high up with lots
of antenna wire and attaching to that wire in theory ought to work and
may be lots less costly than purchasing any signal booster.  A piece of
metal window screen rolled into a cone with one wire attached to it
placed inside of a number 10 can with another wire attached to that can
and both wires going into a satellite reciever has been documented to
work in the past.  The best kind of help to get your friend in the
Phillipines I think is a licensed ham operator who knows what to get and
what to do to make all of this stuff work.