[Electronics-talk] MAC vs PC

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Sun Aug 17 14:55:39 UTC 2014

But you can still buy a new computer with Windows 7 from a number of online
sources, which is much more similar to XP than Windows 8.  Microsoft will
continue to support Windows 7 through 2019, so you will continue to receive
security updates until then. I'm no expert on the Mac, but from what I have
read, it is inferior to Windows in a number of inportant respects, which you
may want to keep in mind.  Oh sure, it already comes with the Voice Over
screen reader built in, but web browsing is apparently more cumbersome and
difficult to get used to than with Windows.  Also, there is no
text-to-speech app that comes remotely close to Kurzweil 100 or Open Book
available for the Mac.  The only one that I am aware of is DocuScan Plus
fromSerotek whose users have reported is not as accurate or feature laden as
the other two text-to-speech programs.  And there is no image solving app
for the Mac that is comparable to Webvisum forFirefox, so if you need to
solve an image cattcha, you will probably need sighted help.  Finally, there
is the steep learning curve of the Mac, whose commands and menu structure
are completely different than that of XP.  So your best bet would be to find
a new computer with Windows 7.

Gerald