[Electronics-talk] MAC vs PC

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 23:19:49 UTC 2014

I apologize if I'm misreading your message, but Apple uses OEM and 3rd
party manufacturer's components in their Macs just as much as your PC
makers do. Otherwise, Apple would be manufacturing processor chips,
memory, GPU's, USB hubs, PCI buses and so on, and I'm pretty sure Apple
doesn't do any of this, and I'd be surprised if they were involved in
such low markup activities. If you go to a site like
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac+Pro+Late+2013+Teardown/20778 you'll
see Apple is using components from Intel, AMD, Samsung, Texas
Instruments, Broadcom and probably just as many I didn't mention. You
also don't see any components with the Apple name on them.

Apple's are more expensive, not because they don't use 3rd party or OEM
components, but because they use higher quality components and have
generally better designs. People are also willing to pay for the Apple
brand and the privilege to run OSX.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail