[Electronics-talk] RiVO for iPhone VoiceOver is now available in 20 languages

Antonio Guimaraes freethaught at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 20:30:57 UTC 2014

I have used this keyboard, ad have some first-hand impressions.

This keyboard’s main feature to me is its size. It is the actual size of a credid card, except a little thicker.

The keyboard has only 20 buttons, arranged into four roes, and five columns.

The left and right-most columns are what they call function keys. They are l-1, l-2, l-3, and l-4 on the left side, and r-1, r-2, r-3, and r-4 on the right.

L is for left, and r is for right in this case.

The middle keys that are left over are arranged like the keys on a phone. The 5 key is indented slightly for easier identification.

You use only nine keys to type text. Each key activates 3 letters, similar to how letters are assigned to number keys on touch tone phones.

Users will most likely climb a steap learning curve in learning to use this keyboard, since the letter arrangement is unique to this device. So, don’t expect a, b, and c, to be assigned to number 2 on the dial pad.

I saw a live presentation on the device by the person responsible for developing it.

The reassignments of letters has been done so that the most commonly used letters are on the first level press, and the least commonly used letters in the last level of presses.

Think vorack keyboard goes mobile with an accessibility touch.

The new letter arrangement assigns the letter a to the number position 4 on the first press. Other commonly used letters are assigned to other numbers, and are activated when you press that number.

Technically it is a little more than that, but one would learn the operation of the keyboard when reading the documentation. Yes, there is documentation for you, as opposed to practices of certain large search and cloud solution providers out there like Google.

This keyboard is not for the faint of heart. Users must learn most all functions of the keyboard to get anything done. You need to switch between modes, learn the keyboard layout, how to access punctuation, and more to send as much as a properly formatted text message.

What makes this keyboard special for blind users is that it is designed to work well with VoiceOver.

I appreciate that the developers have spent so much time working on this device, and I would encourage members to try the thing out to give their honest, and informed opinions.

This is a challenging device to learn. It should aid, not replace your full-size qwerty keyboard.

Antonio