[Electronics-talk] accessible books

George osocalmo at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Dec 9 02:09:20 UTC 2014

Hi Anna,

If you need to keep the original format of the text, RTF or DOC should
be ok for materials written in English. I prefer to use txt when the
text layout is not important to me. However you might have problems with
materials written in Spanish if you use Ansi format, depending on the
system you use (of course no problem if you use Spanish Windows).

In Spanish, there are some special characters (á, é, í, ó, ú, ü, ñ,
etc), which might be translated into other characters or into characters
without the special marks and, when this happens, it's very annoying.
You should check the format you intend to use first to know if it will
work with Spanish, particularly.
Changes can occur depending on your computer syystem or on the system of
the computer used for the format translation of the books.
If you decide to use txt format, Unicode (E.G. UTF8) might be safer than
ansi.

I don't use Braille displays, but I assume that you will need to make
some adjustments to get Spanish correctly displayed, such as selecting
the Spanish Braille table.

You might need or prefer different text formats for different textbooks
depending on their subjects, though.

HTH