[Electronics-talk] [EXTERNAL] Re: thinking of switching to an Android

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 03:13:18 UTC 2014

I have both an iPhone and a Nexis 7. I think there are a few subtle mis
perceptions here.

First, don't confuse the ability to do some customization with the need
to do some customization. People may like the Android phone because they
can tinker with it and swap out the default keyboard or synthesizer or
browser and so on. You don't have to do this to make the Android phone
or tablet a work horse. On my Nexis 7, I use the stock keyboard, the
stock synthesizer, the stock launcher, Google Chrome and so on. I have a
lot of other apps and options loaded up, but I didn't need to do any of
that to have a perfectly workable tablet.

Also, if your iPhone is your main mobile device then an Android phone is
always going to feel like a toy. Just as it was when you first got your
iPhone, you need to be committed and spend some time with your Android
device before you're comfortable with it and it feels less like a toy.
If you're using an Android phone as your primary device and just pick up
an iPhone from time to time then the iPhone would also feel like a toy
in comparison.

Someone mentioned that the Google TTS was slower. I find that it's
faster and more responsive than my Apple TTS. It is true that it isn't
as responsive as Eloquence, but as I said above, you don't need to
install Eloquence if you don't want to and you still get a TTS that's
faster and more responsive than you get on the iPhone. Obviously, speech
synthesizers are highly personal choices, so I wouldn't expect everyone
to agree with me. The fact that you have Eloquence as an option on
Android should be considered a plus and not a detraction.

Another factor to consider is that there are apps you can only get on
one device over the other. I won't give up my iPhone until there's a
BARD Mobile App for Android. KNFB Reader is also another fantastic app
that you don't have on Android yet.

There are definitely some things I prefer doing on my Nexis 7 over my
iPhone. Some of this is because the Android apps are just more
accessible, such as Netflix. Others are because there are just better
apps, such as Blue Mail, Aqua Mail or Mail Wise as your mail client.
There are other things I prefer just because it's a tablet with a larger
screen, such as streaming apps like Netflix, Pandora and the NFL Mobile App.

The iPhone with VoiceOver is definitely a more polished experience,
especially with more advanced features, such as braille input,
hierarchical navigation and bluetooth keyboard integration. This doesn't
mean that an Android device isn't usable though or is just a toy.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail