[Electronics-talk] Stand Alone GPS Units

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Thu Nov 20 20:34:06 UTC 2014

Hey Sarah,

The best GPS device I know of that works for blind and sighted folks alike is the iPhone.

I see in your original email that you asked about the iPod and GPS. You can buy an external GPS receiver for an iPod, but you generally need internet access to make use of IOS GPS apps.  Since iPods don't have mobile data plans, they don't work well with most GPS apps. The Navigon app is expensive, and big, but will come with offline maps, so you could use an iPod + GPS receiver + the Navigon app. Also, google maps can be saved for offline usage, but you have to plan your trip and save your maps while you're on wifi, and then take your trip.

Another option is an iPad with mobile data.  You can buy a GPS receiver for the iPad, and also pay for a monthly data plan that is cheeper and more flexible than a data plan you pay for a phone.

I hope this helps,

Jim