[Electronics-talk] Upgrading Phones

Sarah Clark sarah at sarahaclark.com
Sun Sep 14 18:51:23 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,
I am also finally planning to upgrade my iPhone 4s after 3 years. I thought I wanted to get the 5s because of its smaller size compared to the new ones, but I have been researching it as well as the larger iPhone 6 models, and I am actually now considering getting the 6 plus. I am exclusively a voiceover user, so the larger screen is useless to me, but the reason I'm considering it is because it has far better battery life. I have to charge my 4s approximately every 1 to 1.5 days. The battery life on the 5s is a slight improvement from the 4s. The 6 is a substantial improvement from the 4s (and 5s), and the 6 plus is a substantial improvement from the 6. For talk time, while Apple claims the 4s has 8 hours, the 6 jumps to 14 hours, but the 6 plus jumps all the way to 24 hours. (The 5s is only a 1 to 2 hour improvement over the 4s, depending on what you're doing.)
But for internet browsing, the 4s claims 6 hours on 3g data, the 6 10 hours, and the 6 plus 12 hours. For audio playback the 4s claims 40 hours, while the 6 is 50 hours and the 6 plus is 80 hours. Video playback gives a smaller difference between the models until you jump to the 6 plus. For that, both the 4s and the 5s are about 10 hours, the 6 is 11 hours, and the plus is 14 hours.
So it looks like the 6 plus is roughly 2 to 3 times better than the 4s, depending on the activity.
I don't know yet what I'll do, I'm waiting until I can go physically see them in the store to see the sizes and if I think the plus is too large for me to comfortably hold (for calls), but I wanted to share this info in case it is helpful for anyone.

Sarah