[Electronics-talk] Data plans

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 01:00:17 UTC 2014

I guess I'm confused what you're asking for. First, unless you wanted a
really large data plan, like 10G a month, you wouldn't pay anywhere near
$100 a month. If I'm reading the AT&T site correctly, you could get a
smart phone with a $60 a month plan. I know other providers, like
T-Mobile and Metro PCS, advertise $40 plans.

Remember these plans also include unlimited minutes and text messaging,
so the whole $60 isn't going towards your data plan. If you aren't
interested in the phone features, then you could get an iPod Touch or a
tablet, and just use wifi and wouldn't need a data plan at all. With
Google Voice or Skype or Facetime, you could even make calls over your
wifi connection without needing a cellular plan.

I don't know how the pay as you go phones work with data, but I know the
carriers offer such options. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of many
feature phone options for the blind any more. AT&T used to let a blind
person buy an iPhone without a data plan of course you also couldn't
access any cellular data from the iPhone, but I've heard they don't
offer that option anymore. This was for blind people who just wanted a
feature phone, but didn't have any accessible options other than the iPhone.

I don't thing anyone is forcing anyone to buy a smart phone and sign up
for a data plan, so if it really bugs you then don't do it.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail