[Electronics-talk] possibly strange question

Shannon Cook SCook at sccb.sc.gov
Thu Dec 3 13:51:54 UTC 2015

Hi Lauren,

I use an InStyler from time to time.  It has a large barrel and came with a guard, but I never used the guard.  I have always used curling irons all through my teens and adulthood.  I don't think someone is more likely to get burned just because they are blind.  It is like with anything else, you have to practice to know how to use a new gadget.  I'd recommend starting with just curling the middle to ends and then working further towards your head as you become more comfortable with the iron.  The iron heats, usually quickly, then stays hot as long as it is plugged in and turned to a certain setting. It usually takes a little time to cool down once you unplug it.  I always unplug just so I know it is off.  Some devices also come with a pad to put the hot iron on to keep it from damaging the counter or other surface it rests on. If it were me, I'd try it and see how you do.  You know you have until the end of January to return it if you don't like it.  That is a lot of good testing time.

I hope this will help.

Shannon Cook, MSW