[Electronics-talk] [EXTERNAL] Re: Lightweight Canes

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Mon Dec 14 18:33:39 UTC 2015

Hello,

Well, buying them is a pain, but I have found the Iowa canes from the Iowa
Department for the blind to be a great compromise.  They aren't the
lightest, but are ok and they are very rugged.  I do not like the carbon
fiber because, to me, they are too stiff, I like a little flex in the cane
to absorb the times when the tip gets stuck.  They use the standard NFB tip
so they are easy to maintain.

Iowa has a convoluted ordering procedure which takes a couple weeks, so they
will not work in an emergency.  I totally agree with the idea of keeping a
telescoping cane in  a backpack for emergencies.  One time my cane fell into
a sewer so a backup was very handy. Spare tips are also a necessity in my
backpack.

The free NFB canes are great to use, though they are not durable, but they
are free.  The free canes are very light and have some flex to them.  I love
using them.

Warmest Regards,

Fred