[Electronics-talk] [EXTERNAL] adjusting camera exposure on iphone

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Feb 6 19:12:36 UTC 2015

Yes and no.  The light detector that I have on my iPhone does not really differentiate between sunlight and light
bulb light, but one can determine which one is getting to some degree by the direction from which the light is
coming.  If one had light bulbs right over a window it might be difficult without moving closer to the window to
see if the light you are detecting is coming from outside or inside, and it might be hard to tell if a yard light
is on during the day.

I have a couple of other light probes that are stand-alone devices and have nothing to do with the iPhone.  One of
them is very sensitive to quick changes in light level.  While it can't completely determine if light comes from
the sun or a bulb, it can sense the slight variation in intensity of light from an electric bulb that uses
household electric current.  The tone sounds rougher.  Bulbs that are powered by batteries or some low-voltage
power sources will not exhibit this behavior, though.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson