[Electronics-talk] Did the virtual cane ever come out?

Tom Lange lange85 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 12:45:23 UTC 2015

Hi,
I've never heard of the virtual cane, though I have heard of the laser cane
but have no idea whether it's still manufactured and where to get one.  The
price that I remember hearing about, if memory serves, was somewhere in the
ballpark of three grand, quite an expensive piece of gear. And then there
was the UltraCane, which used ultrasonic waves to detect obstacles like the
old Sonic Guide did.  I bought one of those about eleven years ago for
around $700 but soon found that the handle which housed the ultrasonic
apparatus was way too bulky for my taste and if I'd continued to use it I
probably would have ended up with a wrist problem because it was so heavy
and clunky to use.

Tom