[Electronics-talk] Traffic signal app

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Mon Jun 29 12:14:35 UTC 2015

Yes, they are called Barnes Dances.  They have a few in Washington DC.  The
diagonal path of that type of crossing can be very difficult/dangerous for
some cane travelers.  The domed or crown shape of the center of the
intersection surface does not lend itself to walking a straight line for
some people.

Traditional 4-way intersections have a total of 8 paths of travel.  The
intersections which use the Barnes Dance configuration have a total of 12
path of travel.  With these types of crossings, there are 3 segments to the
light cycle.  One for the east/west vehicle traffic, one for the north/south
vehicle traffic, and one for pedestrians in all directions including the
diagonal.  Unfortunately, if you elect to not utilize the diagonal path  and
choose to cross using 2 crossings, you most likely have to wait an entire
cycle before you can make your second crossing.  These types of crossings
are typically used where there is a high volume of pedestrian traffic.  Many
guide dog users have reported that their dog gets confused about which path
of travel the owner wants them to take.  There are 3 options at each corner,
and they are very close together resulting in the lack of a distinct
starting point for each path of travel.

Annette