[Electronics-talk] [EXTERNAL] getting your drinks at fastfood places

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Mon Jun 29 17:51:11 UTC 2015

So, I'm going to go into full on NFB mode for a moment.  I'm hoping
everyone will stick around for it, thought.

I highly recommend reading "The Nature of Independence"

About 20 years ago, Kenneth Jernigan gave a speech called "The Nature of Independence"

I know that many of you will avoid this speech, because it's just more kool-ade you don't want to drink.

However, this speech does a great job of talking about independence. Below are links to HTML and MP3 versions of the speech, recorded by Dr. Jernigan.

Finally, in case you're wondering, what does this speech have to do with this thread?

Basically, it argues rather forcefully that there's no sacrificing of your independence in asking for  help with the tablet, drink machine, or any other task that requires vision.

Staying home, not trying new things, avoid the restaurant, etc. are definitely things that sacrifice your independence.

If you find, or if we legislate, a blind friendly way to use the tablets or the drink machines; then more power to us.  We've made our lives more convenient and less stressful.  But please, let's not forget what independence really means.

I hope you enjoy the speech.

audio       https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/convent/addres93.htm
html (text) https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Audio/BanqSpeech/The_Nature_of_Independence.mp3

Take Care,