[Electronics-talk] Electronics-talk traffic signal app

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Jun 29 17:59:26 UTC 2015

I fought hard to get an audible signal at a T intersection near my house.
It has made a big difference in my life.  I was literally taking my life
in my hands crossing that street before, trying to guess if there was a
lull in traffic or if I had the light.  Now I know.  I still have to
listen for idiots not stopping at the crosswalk, but at least now I know
when it's probably safe to cross.

There are other crossings, especially in New York City, where I have
trouble hearing the cross-traffic because of ambient noise, like
construction or food-truck generators.  I'd really like some low-cost
thing I could use, when I want or need it, to tell me when I have the walk
sign.  Sighted people know when they've got the Walk; why shouldn't I?
I'm not relying on it, but it's a very helpful piece of information.
Tracy