[Electronics-Talk] future of accessibility in appliances and devices

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sat Nov 12 16:59:12 UTC 2016

Tracy,

Yes, you are correct.  The "dynamic" displays and the one button that cycles through a menu of options would not be improved with this modification.

My Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer uses tactually discernable buttons that each move through a different set of options for that feature.  The nice thing about these products is that with each press of the button a different pitched tone is made.  So if there are 3 options, the option at the top of the list when selected makes the highest note pitch.  The option in the middle makes a slightly lower note tone, and the option at the button of the list makes the lowest note tone.  When you press the button again you hear the highest note tone and you know you are back at the top of the list.  I have a list of all of the feature options for each wash setting selected from the large dial.  At first this system was over whelming, and the list gets lost or damaged, so I just use a few wash cycles.  This is not the best system, but it is my most accessible appliance in the house and it required the least amount of adaptions.  Ok, my refrigerator is the most accessible appliance as all I had to do is memorize which button gives me crushed ice and which one gives me ice cubes.

Annette