[Electronics-Talk] xfinity talking remote

Mike Sedmak mcsedmak at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 03:45:37 UTC 2016

Hold the remote with the buttons facing you.  To ensure that you have
the remote the correct side forward, note that the front of the remote
(which you would aim at the TV) has two buttons with a wide space
between them.  The end of the remote (which would face you) has a
square button in the middle with a small button to both sides.

Another trick you can try to figure which end of the remote is which,
the front end has a smooth plastic face for the infra red beam.  The
end of the remote has ridges on it.  The flat side faces the TV and
the ridges face you.

Working from the end (or bottom)/ set of buttons, follow the middle
button up three buttons.  You will find a button with two dots on it.
This is the number 5 in the middle of a phone pad style layout for
entering channel numbers.

Just above the number 1 button is a triangular button.  This
triangular button is the "A" button.  If you press the "A" button
twice it will open a menu to enable voice guidance.  After pressing
the A button twice, you need to move the cursor to the right once,
then press enter.

Where are the movement keys you ask?

Move up the buttons two more rows and you will find a large "D-pad"
The center of this large area is a raised button, surrounded by a
depression.  Within this depression you will find 4tactile arrows, up,
down, left and right.  The raised button in the middle is the select
button.

So after pressing "A" twice, use the right arrow once then press
select to turn on voice guidance.

Continuing up the remote, above the "up arrow" is the "menu" button.
The menu button is rectangular and noticeably  raised.

The button above the menu button is the microphone button.  It is
"shorter" than the menu button.  Hold down the microphone button while
talking, and release when done issuing the command.

A command I frequently use is "recordings".

The xfinity web site has videos with more examples of voice commands.