[Electronics-Talk] Does where we shop impact accessibility of appliances?

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 30 16:04:36 UTC 2016

Hi Brad,

I believe that there are additional factors that are impacting the
identification of appliances that can be used by people who are blind.  Let
me see if I can explain.

The lack of knowledge or the unwillingness of manufacture's customer service
phone representatives to understand what blind consumers are looking for.  I
have been working with GE for 3 weeks to identify an over the range
microwave or microwave/convection oven, as well as a slide-in range.  I've
explained what I need, as well as explained why each model they have
identified is not accessible to someone who is blind.  After making no
progress with that representative beside having a plastic card with 45
2-letter braille combinations mailed to me, they have upon my request
forwarded my case to someone else (maybe a supervisor).  I am now starting
over with explaining what I am looking for, and explaining why the models
being suggested by this second person is not accessible to someone who is
blind.   They continually provide me with products that the manufacturer has
labeled ADA Accessible, but they are not accessible to people who are blind.
If you read the manufacturer's definition of ADA Accessibility, you will see
that factors for non-visual access is not even mentioned.  In addition, 3
other manufacturer's (LG, Whirlpool & Kitchen Aid) customer representatives
have told me point blank that they do not have any products that do not use
the new technology of very sensitive control panels that do not require
pressure to operate, or a knob that only provides feedback on the digital
screen.

If the manufacturer does make even one model that can be accessed without
having to touch the overly sensitive panel in multiple spots to navigate to
the desired location, or not require reading a digital screen to know what
settings you are selecting, the customer representative are not able to help
the blind consumer identify these models.  Sales people in local stores do
not know anything more than what is written on the display sign for each
appliance.  So when you ask if the control panel requires pressure to
activate or whether the product produces an audible sound when the button is
activated/de-activated, they have no idea.  The inability to test a product
in a store just adds to our inability to identify a product that is
accessible or that could be adapted to meet our individual needs.

When visiting the homes of friends and relatives who have replaced various
appliances within the past 3 years, we have found the appliance control
panels to be overly sensitive, require no pressure to activate, and overall
size of the panel to be too small to fit braille labels or other type of
markings within close proximity to the buttons.  Consideration of placing
the marks on the frame of the panel does not provide you with access to the
buttons that are in the center of the panel.

Some microwaves are using a single dial used to control multiple features
such as cooking mode, cooking time, cooking level, convection oven
temperature, and much more.  Some microwave models do use a knob that
provide a slight click, but does not have a defined start or end to the
rotation.  Other models provide no physical feedback when turning the knob.
The information being controlled by the knob is displayed on the digital
display, and no audible sound is able to be produced as the settings are
changed.

In addition, many models no longer produce an audible sound when a button is
activated or de-activated.  I found this unbelievable, so we have read
through a few manuals and have confirmed that it is indeed true.

Your idea of visiting my local appliance stores equipped with an extension
cord is worth consideration.

I think that it is time to stop letting manufacturers assume or dictate that
if a person is blind that they be:

.         Limited to a stripped down model.  I believe that either all
appliances should be accessible to people who are blind, or at a minimum at
least 1 or 2 models be accessible within each model series or product level.

.         limited to the concept of accessibility requiring the consumer to
add braille labels or tactile marking to a product, or requiring the user to
memorize what a button is or the settings available with each press of that
button.  If it is reasonable for the average person to memorize what each
press of a button will do, then why do manufacturers provide displays or
indicator lights on their products.

In addition, the following should also be considered:

.         If it is not reasonable for a manufacturer to train all of their
customer representatives, product distributors and sales people to
understand the needs of a consumer with a disability, then manufacturers
need to have a dedicated department (even if it is one person) who is
knowledgeable of the needs of people with disabilities and the features of
each product and how they can meet various user needs.  Information on how
to access information about accessibility of products needs to be easily
found.

.         Manufacturers need to provide more details in their product specs
that can help a consumer with a disability identify which features/aspects
of an appliance they can or cannot access given their specific needs.

.         While access to large home appliances is crucial to the daily
independence of people with disabilities, access to other products such as
exercise equipment and their mobile device apps, as well as entertainment
and office equipment needs to be considered.  Have you tried to find a
dedicated printer or Multi-Function Printer lately?  A person who is blind
or those who have any type of disability should not have to spend days and
weeks trying to find a product that they need or want.

I hope my rambling is helpful.

Annette