[Electronics-Talk] FW: Smartphone for visually impaired

Leslie Fairall fairall at panix.com
Fri Dec 15 01:04:41 UTC 2017

Some of the Blackberry phones have built-in keyboards. I have the Priv,
which was around $300 last time I checked. However, I paid the full $719
when came out. The Blackberry KeyOne came out a few months ago and has the
latest version of Android. It costs around $549. The disadvantage to
these phones it that they may or may not have arrow keys. The Priv
doesn't,
but a small bluetooth keyboard could aid you in navigation if you were
not comfortable with the touchscreen. Both phones are updating at the
moment.

TalkBack is the screen reader for Android phones. It does support keyboard
commands. Most people don't realize this, but you can also navigate an
iPhone with a keyboard as well. Voiceover does have keyboard commands. I
can't remember the specs of the phone we were originally talking about, so
I'm not sure whether it has a full keyboard or keypad.