[Electronics-Talk] smartphone for the blind

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 15:32:50 UTC 2017

I am not scared of it being Android. I am scared, however, of it becoming a paper-weight, as some have pointed out. Now, for those who know more than I: I would be interested in this aspect of deaf history: How did the deaf get closed-captioning, TTY’s, etc., so mainstream? It seems that we struggle a lot more to get blind-friendly things to happen, to be affordable, and to stick around. It’s even worse if, like me, you have other issues than blindness that make using a touch-screen untenable, and you need something like the Envision 2 to even be able to get on the learning curve for mastering a ‘'new smartphone. Before anyone brings up the idea of voice commanding, I also would prefer not to talk; I know I’m a whiner and complainer, and you have all see my wish list for the perfect smartphone, but sometimes, it bears repeating. If I had the money to get the Envision, I probably would, except for that one problem of how long it would be supported; I’d be inclined to wait a couple years to make sure any bugs were worked out and that it still had some longevity, and maybe even to wait for the price to drop a bit—as tempting as it is to be hasty. So, in the interim, I may end up with a feature phone, which I could at least use for texting and phone calls on the road, and at work, where you really need something you can function with.

Sandra

“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.”
(Henry David Thoreau)

---