[Electronics-Talk] Rainbow color reader

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Dec 26 14:25:21 UTC 2017

One of my presents yesterday was the Rainbow Color Reader.  I really like
it.  It's only about 2 by 3 inches, and pretty flat, so will be easy to drop
into a pocket or purse.  And it gives ordinary color names.  My old detector
was the Cobol, and I never did figure out what "grey olive green" was.  This
new one says things like beige, or yellow-colors I know.  My dog is pale
beige, according to it.

It's available on Amazon, and the price I saw advertised was $99.

The ad claims it will read the color of LED lights, which could be very
handy, though I haven't tried that yet.

Here's the description from Amazon:

Introducing the new version of the Rainbow II Color Reader, a talking color
identifier for the visually impaired and color blind. Small, accurate and
easy to use, the Rainbow Color Reader can easily fit in a pocket. With over
40 colors, it provides accurate color discrimination without confusing the
user with odd color names or vague descriptions of the color. Only one
button and only a single AAA battery (included) means simple operation and
maintenance!