[Electronics-Talk] Google Home is the personal assistant

Brad Hodges Brad.hodges at outlook.com
Fri Dec 29 13:18:07 UTC 2017

Greetings:

I think that people may have misunderstood a reference to the Google
Home personal assistant along the way. It performs some of the same
functions as the
Amazon Echo, aka Alexa. I have both devices and find that they differ in
both their strengths and weaknesses. A small version of each appears to
be commonly available for $29.99.

My quick thought is that if you're technically adventuresome and have a
few extra dollars installing and comparing one of each will prove to be
an interesting exersize. If you can only choose 1, I think I would give
the nod to Echo. There are many more Echo users so your chances of
getting help is better than from the far fewer Google Home users you
might know.

Note, for Google Home, you want to install both the Google Home and
Google Assistant apps on your iPhone. Also note, Google Home provides
surprisingly good toll free technical support.

Each device offers a variety of "apps" which provide specific functions,
calling a Lyft ride or playing Jeopardy for example. On Echo these are
called Skills while on Google Home they are referred to as Services.
Note, if you really appreciate a comprehensive, perhaps exhaustive
weather forecast, the Weather Sky Skill for Echo, from Dark Sky is truly
amazing.

Brad Hodges