[Electronics-Talk] Trump Team Wants to Strip FCC of Consumer Protection Powers

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Tue Jan 17 11:38:18 UTC 2017

It does not appear that accessibility will be making any significant gains under the incoming Trump administration, as I have mentioned previously.  According to sources, the Trump transition team has proposed a major restructuring  of the FCC that would strip it of its consumer protection powers.  To me, this would seem to indicate that compliance with the Telecommunications Act of 2010 would not be enforced, and therefore, there would be no pressure on TV manufacturers and cable companies to make TV sets and cable boxes accessible. No doubt the honchos at Spectrum Cable and other cable providers are breathing a collective sigh of relief that nobody will be forcing them to offer their customers accessible cable boxes any timesoon.  Here’s more details:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/01/trump-team-reportedly-wants-to-strip-fcc-of-consumer-protection-powers/

Gerald