[Electronics-Talk] Cooking instructions app

Annely Rose annely53r at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 23 06:50:41 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I haven't read all of this thread so forgive me if this has been stated.
There is a web site called directionsforme.com by Horizons for the Blind.  They also offer a bar code scanner that is new.  Below is the information I copied from the web site.

BAR CODE SCANNER FOR USE WITH DIRECTIONS FOR ME: ATMS3580

CUSTOMIZED METROLOGIC QUANTUM OMNI-DIRECTIONAL BAR CODE SCANNER
 The Metrologic Quantum bar code scanner is customized for use with the DirectionsForMe service, which allows you to identify over 450,000 items and obtain directions, ingredients, warnings and other packaging information in an accessible format. This bar code scanner is easy to use, just plug it into your computer or notetaker, go to www.directionsforme.org and start scanning. The Quantum gives us the freedom to organize the pantry, prepare dinner, or bake that delicious cake mix without having to ask a sighted person to read the labels.

 Features:
•    Built-in swivel stand that offers simple, hands-free operation.
•    Omni-directional lasers for improved scanning.
•    Compatible with any USB enabled device such as Windows and Macintosh computers as well as popular notetakers like BrailleNote, BrailleSense, and PAC-Mate.

 Directions for bar code scanner available on CD with package.

Scanner Warranty: Please Select...No Thank You 3 Year Scanner Warranty (+$65.00)

Price: $159.00

Hope this is helpful.  It's a lot cheaper than the I.D. Mate, but not so portable.  I have the I.D. Mate summit and am pretty happy with it.  I'd like to try this though.

Annely