[Electronics-Talk] new TV

Elizabeth Campbell batescampbell at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 20:37:49 UTC 2017

Hi Susie

I am happy to try to answer your question about getting an accessible tv.

I know there are several brands, and I chose the Samsung model with the
voice guide.
I purchased the tv at Best Buy,and I arranged for the Geek Squad to assemble
the tv and connect it to my cable box. The tv speaks the menus outloud, and
you
Will also get spoken menus and information such as what shows are on. I've
found this works if the tv is connected to an antenna, but it doesn't work
with my cable provider, AT&T Uverse because Uverse doesn't have any of the
accessibility features on its cable box.

The Samsung is also a smart tv, and the voice guide does an okay job of
reading some of the smart hub features such as the Amazon videos and the
built-in web browser.
However, I've had mixed results when getting apps like the BBC News to work.
Since I bought the tv, I've decided to get rid of my cable and go with
high-speed Internet for streaming. I also bought the Amazon Fire TV box,
which supports a service called DirectvNow so that one can get CNN, the Food
Network, Bloomberg and other channels at rates far cheaper than cable. This
service also works on Apple Tv. I also bought an antenna to pick up the
local channels. So far, I am happy with this arrangement.

Let me know if I can help you with this further.

Best

Liz