[Electronics-Talk] Old braille display, new computer

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Apr 11 13:38:23 UTC 2018

I'm trying to get an old Alva 640 to work with a new laptop.  The Alva has a
serial connection, and the laptop only has USB.  I have a USB to serial
converter cable, but Jaws only has a serial connection option for this model
display.  I tried telling Jaws it's a later model Alva, but that doesn't
appear to work.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can make the connection work?  The display
works well, and I'd like to keep using it.  And a new display is definitely
not cheap. $3000 seems to be the standard price.

Thanks.

Tracy