[Electronics-Talk] [nfbcs] Old braille display, new computer

Drenth, Joe Joe.Drenth at JBTC.COM
Wed Apr 11 14:07:45 UTC 2018

Hi Tracy,

The USB to serial adapter should add a virtual serial port to your laptop, but it might not be obvious right away which serial port number it will be. You will need to open your computer's Device Manager, then expand the Ports section, and open the properties of your USB to serial device, which should be in the list. The properties dialog should have a tab for port settings, and that screen will either allow you to see the port number, or you might need to click the Advanced button on the port settings page to get to the screen where you can view or change the port number. Once you know the serial port number, use it to configure JAWS.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Joseph Drenth
Senior R&D Software Engineer
JBT Corporation  |  Automated Systems
400 Highpoint Drive
Chalfont, PA  18914, USA
E: joe.drenth at jbtc.com  P: 215 822 4457
www.jbtc-agv.com

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbcs [mailto:nfbcs-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Tracy Carcione via nfbcs
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 9:38 AM
To: 'NFB in Computer Science Mailing List'
Cc: Tracy Carcione; 'Discussion of accessible home electronics and appliances'
Subject: [nfbcs] Old braille display, new computer

I'm trying to get an old Alva 640 to work with a new laptop.  The Alva has a serial connection, and the laptop only has USB.  I have a USB to serial converter cable, but Jaws only has a serial connection option for this model display.  I tried telling Jaws it's a later model Alva, but that doesn't appear to work.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can make the connection work?  The display works well, and I'd like to keep using it.  And a new display is definitely not cheap. $3000 seems to be the standard price.

Thanks.

Tracy