[Electronics-Talk] Accessibility of Live Television Services

Brent Harding brent at hostany.net
Mon Jan 1 04:19:17 UTC 2018

I'm just using the remote from the TV. Actually, as far as Roku's app goes,
going to specific channels and doing much controlling from the phone isn't
so hot on the accessibility front at least on an iPhone. The channels
section has 3 channels grouped on each control or element you flick by.
Trying to do the explore by touch thing isn't seeming any better. Some of
the buttons on the remote tab are unlabeled also, so you can only do a few
things like volume, mute, power, and then rewind or fastforward, but I don't
believe the spectrum app supports that. As for where Spectrum's channel
falls a little bit short, and I think it is partially on their content
partners for on demand, there seems to be no description track available for
on demand. I tested on two shows, Gotham and Bluebloods, which I know to
usually air with description with no luck in on demand. I wonder if they
will have accessible DVR control for those areas like mine that came from
TWC where Roku is the best accessibility there will be for awhile until or
if they merge the differing systems into one? I would also want DVR for
programs that just aren't on demand, such as most sports or local programs,
or those that expire very quickly. I could be wrong on the whole TWC vs
Charter thing in that Charter may have started work on the talking box,
where TWC wasn't going to before the merger was conceived, and because they
likely use incompatible systems, they just don't have one for the TWC side
of the fence, so to speak. My buddy in another part of Wisconsin has the
box, but his area was Charter territory before the merger.