[Electronics-Talk] Electric razors

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Feb 2 14:59:06 UTC 2019

Tracy,

I don't have a strong opinion regarding this topic, but as one who has used
the Braun shavers, you do not necessarily need to purchase a Series 9 Braun
to get a cleaning base and the cleaning cartridges.  The Series 9 Braun's
are the most expensive, but the series 7 and series 5's are less expensive
and include the cleaning base and single piece blades, but offer fewer
features.  In other words, if the idea of a cleaning base, cleaning
cartridges, and a blade that does not fall apart when you open the shaver,
then the Series 5, 7, and 9 should work for you.  The Series 7 and 9 shavers
are waterproof to a degree and support rinsing off the blade with water if
you are traveling and don't take the base with you.

I have to add, though, that the cartridges that come with the cleaning base
are, in my opinion, kind of a pain.  They are very, very full and it is easy
to spill a little cleaning fluid as you slide them into the base.  Also, I
believe they are3 supposed to last about a month, so you go through a lot of
cartridges and you do need to order them often.  This is another expense.  I
stretch them out by running the cleaning cycle every other day which helps.
I used to run the cycle even less and then read somewhere that the alcohol
evaporates out of these cartridges once they are opened so that stretching
out the time the cartridge is open will cause it to be less effective.
Using the cleaning cycle every other day seems to work well for me.

While I like the Braun shavers and just purchased a newer one, I am not
totally convinced that a cheaper shaver that doesn't have all this extra
stuff would not do as good a job with less hassle.  When a cheaper shaver
stops working, you could justify throwing it away since you don't have that
much invested in it.  However, using the Braun with the cleaning base and
the cleaning cartridges has allowed the blade to last a long time for me,
and the shaver itself seems to last a long time as well.  The rechargeable
battery has held up better than any shaver I have owned previously as well.
I suspect some of these things are part of what one gets if they are willing
to pay the price.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson