[Electronics-Talk] Reading with Alexa devices

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 14 04:19:59 UTC 2019

Hello all,

Is Amazon’s devices finally giving us more access?
I know NFB was going to have a Protest at Amazon headquarters and called it off due to their change in policy.

I'm not sure to what extent Kindle books are accessible and which ones Alexa  can read vs ones you have to use the Kindle app for.
The amazon Echo is one of the  best devices I’ve received in my life. It can do so many things simply by asking it.
What reading can be done on the Echo and other Alexa devices?
Are you satisfied with its functions? Is it clear where headings and subsections are? Can you skip to different chapters? Can you pause and then later easily resume reading in your same place?
I’d love to give this a try. I’ve used the NLS service primarily for my audio reading.
What reading benefits come with Amazon Prime? I share an account with my mom. To what extent can you receive free audible and Kindle books? If someone can explain the process of buying an audible book and using Alexa, I’d be grateful. I assume you have to link the audible and Echo accounts together.
I also would like to know what other sources of reading can be done with Alexa? Can she read any HTML or EPUB books? There are sources such as Project Gutenberg out there with free ebooks. I am aware that some Kindle books can be read aloud and others cannot. So is there a way to check for accessibility before buying the book or audiobook? If Alexa cannot read the ebook, and that is my preference, I’d try the IOS Kindle app.

Thanks.
Ashley