[Electronics-Talk] Suggestions on reasonably priced around the ear headphones for computer use

rixmix2009 at gmail.com rixmix2009 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 20:36:57 UTC 2020

Hello Patrick, and all you folks on the list.
Happy Easter Bunny Day.  I think I heard that some of our friendly
neighborhood bunnies were wearing their protection masks, and looking good
today.

I will offer you a few choices of headphone models, which I consider to be
the very affordable price range, and that I have had positive experience
with.
But let me say, I am not endorsing any particular seller. Except I do try
and support any independent business, especially ones providing accessible
products. And I'm sure anyone on this list knows and supports them as well.
Warning, and my apologies. I got long winded.

The first set is one I have purchased for many years.
KOSSKTXPRO1 Titaniam.
They run around $18.
For many years, Radio Shack carried these. At that time, they were called
Pro 25, if anyone will remember those.
They are an over the ear headphone.  3.5 mm jack. They have an in-line
volume control, a feature which I have always favored.  It is so nice to be
able to turn something down, especially when you are listening to content
with an unpredictable volume range.

Over time, this model, as most will, develop a short someplace, either in
that in-line control, or, more often for me, from my jerking them at the
cord accidentally.
So, I have replaced these many, many times.
Still, they sound very good, are a very comfortable fit for me. In fact I
just received a new pair last week.
They do not cup the ear tightly to block out external sounds. Still, I wore
them in a factory for years, doing industrial sewing.
And I generally just have kept a couple pairs around, for when one would get
damaged.

The other model I like is quite versatile, and I think sound very good.
The model is
MPOW H1 Bluetooth Over the Ear headphones.
They connect via Bluetooth to your various devices or to a Bluetooth
transmitter, which MPOW also sells separately.
They do in fact, cup over the ear, and they block out most external sound
very well.
They have a rich bass sound for audio.
There are 3 buttons on the set.
An on-off switch in the middle, and the ones to left and right afe for
volume or going to the next track and previous track.
These are also pretty affordable, I think I gave $30 something for them.

But what I  also like, the versatility part of this MPOW H1, is that up on
the headphone is a 3.5 mm stereo jack. So you can get you a connecting audio
cable of whatever length you need, and use them without Bluetooth.
If you are like me, and do want to have that in-line volume control, these
do not have that. But I have found that you can purchase in-line volume
control cables, just to connect to that 3.5 mm cable, at places like C CRANE
Radio.
Mentioning C Crane, I should add, they also have many models of headphones,
none of them bad.

I like to keep hunting for headphones. Seems when you find some you really
really like, look out. Next time you  want them, they may be gond.

Finally, have you heard of Skullcandy?
A strange name to me at first, but now I get it.
Radio Shack here has been selling good models of Skullcandy headphones.
I got two sets of that brand, last fall.
1) The cupped wired set is very decent audio, and does block out external
sound well.

2) The set of Bluetooth Skullcandy model is:
Ink'd Plus Wireless.
They have a design with a little collar, to put around your neck.
The collar is attached to 2 8 to 10-inch cords with your L-R earbuds,
I like their ease of connectivity, their sound quality, and the convenience
with being able to just drop  one or both earbud, and do something for a
minute.
Both of these Skullcandy models, were not very expensive, but I think the
Ink'd Plus were getting near $40.

I have friends with some of the higher quality audio, more expensive sets,
both Bluetooth and direct connecting.
And while I have some of those, I like to still keep getting the less
expensive ones.
One reason is just that for me, I pay a whole bunch of money, then find I
get rough and careless and will get a short, as noted above. And when one
channel or both get to cutting out on me, I am just not able to deal with
them much anymore. So much for the capitalist manufacturing, and planned
obsolescence for repeat purchasing.

A few months back, I got the remastered deluxe 50th anniversary edition of
The Beatles Abbey Road.
For that first listen, I dug out my studio quality set of Koss headphones I
bought on sale in 1974. Yes, I know, before some of you were even born!
(grin.)
They still sound so wonderful. Well balanced, and true. There are better
ones, for more money. But fortunately I have yet to jerk a short into the
cord of this pair.
I looked up to see if I'd find the model number on eBay. I was thrilled to
discover some folks were selling them, still at the regular price I paid
back in 1974. Some even higher. That was kind of cool. To still find that
sometimes, the good things, stay good.
Okay. Sure, some among you, may want to go and get curious. The model number
of that old set of headphones, from 1974, it is this:
Koss Pro / 4AAA
20 foot curly q cord.

Good luck, good hunting, and good listening.
Rik James
Bozeman, Montana