[Electronics-Talk] Electric Vs. Gas ranges

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Fri Feb 21 11:31:08 UTC 2020

I can tell you from personal experience that thousands and thousands of
tenants in New York City, including many who are blind, still have
old-fashioned gas ovens that require lighting the gas pilot inside the
oven cavity with a match.  How can this be, you might wonder.  By law,
landlords are only required to furnish a stove that works.  They are not
required to furnish a stove that is also safe for a blind tenant. Most
pre-war buildings do not have wiring that is adequate enough to handle
the heavy loads imposed by dozens  or hundreds of electric stoves, and
so most pre-war apartment buildings have gas stoves.  .   I had to fight
with my landlord for years to get him to replace my 1950's-era gas stove
that was an accident waiting to happen with a more modern, safer  model
with electronic ignition.  I explained to his lackey, the building
manager, that if I ever suffered any harm because I was injured trying
to light the pilot with a match, I would sue the landlord's ass off.  He
finally got the message, and I have had no problems using the gas stove
with electronic ignition that the super installed a few years ago to
replace the clunker that had been sitting in my kitchen since the Truman
administration.

Gerald