[Electronics-Talk] Electric Vs. Gas ranges

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at outlook.com
Fri Feb 21 14:57:19 UTC 2020

As a practical matter, there are other options to lighting pilot lights besides matches that can make the job easier for some.  There are lighters that use flints to create a spark in a manner similar to some cigarette lighters and one can buy lighters at the end of a long barrel that will work well.  It is also true that most gas stoves now light automatically using an electric spark as has been stated before.  Still, if one rents or owns a house, one may still not get away from pilot lights.  Many hot water heaters have pilot lights yet as do some gas fireplace inserts.  You can buy units that use electric igniters, but sometimes you could move into a place where they already exist.  I use a gas grill outdoors and it has an igniter that uses a spark, but it has gone bad and lighting the burner with a lighter on a long barrel isn't a problem, even if less convenient.  We can manage these things as blind people if we need to, but we need to learn about these things from one another.

Certainly there are pros and cons to both styles of stoves, and people should go with what they like best.  I think we should be careful, though, not to scare one another into a preference.  Gas involves an open flame so one needs to be careful of that.  So do candles, whether on a birthday cake or in a center piece on a table at a nice restaurant as do fireplaces.  Both gas and charcoal grills involve an open flame as well.  One has to be aware of that.  I am sure there has been more than one bad experience with a gas stove and I don't minimize that.  However, I also know that one of the most serious burns from cooking I know of happened to a friend when making candy in a microwave.  The two cooking fires I've had to deal with happened on an electric stove.  People will tell you that if something is boiling too hard or if something is frying too hot, turning down the gas cools it off much more quickly than does turning down an electric burner and you don't have to try to move a pan off a burner as you sometimes need to do on an electric stove.

Even with the above, I am more comfortable with an electric stove than gas mostly because I understand electricity better than gas.  However, I hate to see a picture painted that makes it appear we, as blind people cant use gas.  Blind people cooked with gas for years before electric stoves became as common as they have become.  We have to be informed and learn techniques to deal with whichever method we use.  Of course, nothing here is meant to justify a stove that is unsafe because it needs repair.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson